Built on Holzmarktstrasse in 1881 and extended in 1905, Radialsystem V was Berlin's largest pumping station for a new system of wastewater management for the city. The building is typical of the industrial architectural style found in this region at the time, also seen in the Charlottenburg power plant (1900) and the Oberbaumbrücke (1896). Using decorative elements of the so-called "Märkische Backsteingothik" (Brick Gothic from the region of Mark Brandenburg) the architect Richard Tettenborn (1857-1923) designed the pumping station with large windows allowing a view from the street into a large, bright room filled with powerful machinery. Tettenborn's plan most likely followed the ideals of James Hobrecht, the engineer responsible for the design and construction of Berlin's sewer system who stressed the necessity of cleanliness and elegance in industrial architecture and technology.
With one-third of RADIALSYSTEM V destroyed in World War II (the damage still visible just behind the bar in the foyer), what remained of the building was hastily repaired and set back into operation. Until the new pumping station next door took over in 1999, Radialsystem V served the districts of Mitte, Prenzlauer Berg and Friedrichshain. In 1999 RADIALSYSTEM V was put on the historical preservation list.
Pumping station of Radialsystem V, 1925 © Berliner Wasserbetriebe